<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Arnwine on What Doctors Are For

The following is just in from Don Arnwine, long a well-known figure in healthcare management – now retired – relative to the recent posting on the subject.
………………………………….

I think [your daughter-in-law’s mother] has it right. I've long felt that this business of "choice" concerning doctors is as much political as medical. In my experience [including my own] what most people want and need in most situations is "information and attention." This can very often be provided by a "physician extender" who is more readily available and willing to help. I have had the same internist for over 20 years. I talk more with his nurse than with him and if I get the information and help I need why wait for him to call me back? Sometime back I went through a series of visits and treatments with an orthopedist. He had a Nurse Practitioner who possessed about 90% of the information and savvy that I needed. If that talent could be organized as "levels of care" rather than 'physician extenders" we might improve things.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com